Carn Dearg Mountaineering Club
1949 – 2017 : 68 Years on the Scottish Mountains


07 Apr 2017 - 09 Apr 2017

The venue for the April meet was the Jacobites’ hut at Invercroft, Achnasheen, attended by Alan, Colin, Dave (Sat only), Iain, Janet, Jim, Ken, Lawrie, Lindsay, Stewart and Vania. Despite a Jacobite-warning of wellies being required to access the hut, all arrived dry-footed courtesy of a raised wooden walkway across Loch Gowan.

Friday evening saw the early birds opening up, lighting the fire, and a few made their way to the Ledgowan Lodge to work on an invite to Saturday night’s dance (finding later that walking legs and dancing legs don’t mix). When most of the group were catching up in front of the fire, two unexpected guests appeared at the door asking……’is this the Ling Hut?’ After advising them in the nicest possible way that their navigation skills had gone awry, they were last seen heading into the night, hopefully in the direction of their friends at the Ling.

Saturday turned out to be a good day weather-wise. Stewart was first out heading to Sgorr Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mhor; closely followed by Iain in the direction of Slioch. Colin had Moruisg as his target for the day; and Ken (practicing solo walking for a big day coming soon) made his way from Achnashellach via Glenuig Lodge and Scardroy back to Invercroft. The big group of six – Alan, Janet, Jim, Lawrie, Lindsay and Vania – parked at Coulags walked up by Fionn-abhainn for a tea-break at the bothy. They then disappeared in three different directions to An Ruadh Stac, Maol Chean Dearg and Meall nan Ceapairean, managing to regroup in time for a second bothy stop. Saturday night, as usual, saw group members sharing their day’s experience, Iain having declared sight of one golden eagle, only to be trumped by Dave, newly-arrived from an expedition up Strath Rushden, claiming sight of two on his day in the hills.

With Sunday’s weather not looking too promising, Colin, Iain, Jim and Stewart headed for home, while Dave and Ken were last seen still deciding what to do next. Alan, Janet, Lawrie, Lindsay and Vania made a half-hearted attempt to reach Fuar Tholl (or to look at in anyway) with skies darkening at each step. The path up the glen has been adopted by the local walking group and members were out digging ditches (for anyone looking for a new project!). By 1pm all had turned back, the final few managing to get a soaking before the car park. Refuge was taken at the Ledgowan, joined by the ditch-diggers, before heading for home.

All in all an enjoyable weekend only partially spoiled by the weather.